Friday, June 18, 2010

Illustrators Unite!!!

Monkey, as he slowly builds up his portfolio to start taking over the illustration world, has stumbled upon some awesome resources. Here he is with two reviews:



First off, Escape From Illustration Island is a fantastic blog that has troves of awesome articles, great links, and handy information for the beginning illustrator. Written by Thomas James, there are lots of great stuff that I wish I had found about contact lists, marketing strategies, and also portfolio sites (useful info before rebranding my own portfolio site, www.rickkitagawa.com) I'll definitely be making some changes to the site. If anything, the man is WONDERFUL about posting easy-to-figure-out instructions (how to make a basic wordpress portfolio/blog site anyone?), and the community over there seems pretty fantastic.

Anyhoo, if you're interested in illustration, an illustrator who hasn't found this site yet, or someone who wants to get started in illustration, I highly recommend this site. Check it out!



Also, if you happen to have $495 + hotel and food expenses laying around in your budget (sadly, I don't right now but I'm working on it), you should check out The Illustration Conference (aka ICON) that'll be happening in early July down in Pasadena, CA. After reading the program of the events, I almost want to punch myself in the face for not budgeting for this earlier. If I can't make it this year, I'm most definitely going to plan for this event in 2011.

Seriously, James Jean? Yoko Shimizu? The Clayton Brothers? Gallery Nucleus events? Irene Gallo? The Art Directors for the NYT, Scholastic Books, etc., etc., etc.? Hot damn, this is the place to be. Anyway, definitely let us know if you're going, as we'd love to pick your brain after you get back!

No comments: